Monday, May 5, 2014

My notes on Laksa

I am a huge laksa fan. There are so many versions of laksa and currently.

I am still trying to debunk all the different types...

  1. Penang Laksa, usually extremely hot and spicy with a huge prawn on top 
  2. Curry Laksa, normally comes with copious amounts of tofu and the curry base comes out very strong 
  3. Prawn laksa, stock is prawn based, very yummy, and as the name implies, usually comes with a giant prawn 
  4. Singapore laksa, usually thick with fried tofu 


Yes, there all sound similar, I know. I love them but debunking the ingredients and delicately identifying the differences is beyond me.

My favorite, is the Sarawak laksa. Thick, spicy with de-shelled prawns and flossed steam chicken with bean spouts and fried shallots. My tummy grumbles as I scan my brain-archive and recreate the experience in my head. I have been testing a few laksa premixes available in the stores. Some turned out less then yum but yesterday's laksa was great! Its Singapore laksa by Hai's found in the dry isle so it can keep quite well.

I must do my reviews more systematic, thats the plan. So watch this space.

Meanwhile if you do decide to buy one always think about making a fishy stock for the soup. More often it says add just plain water or chicken stock...just work a little harder...make a home made fish stock for the soup.

Here is how I made mine:

Quick and easy fish stock for laksa 

  • Large pot 800 ml/1 liter water (usually per packet it will ask for 800ml to 1 L of water) 
  • Throw in Prawn heads (you can fry these in some butter before adding to pot but the premix is usually already oily and I don't really need anymore oil added if I can help it) 
  • Fish bones 
  • Fish meat 
  • 1 large onion cut into half 
  • 1 carrot break into two 
  • Salt to taste 


Boil for about 15 minutes then simmer for another 30 minutes.

Drain stock into a jar or straight into the pot you intend to use for the Laksa premix.

Taddaaaa. What ever Laksa premix you have will taste 10X better.

UPDATE

Recomended and easily available, Hai's from the fridge section. There is also the Hai's from the dry aisle. Both are good. I recently bought a 'home mix', will try that!


No comments: